What is a Cult?
The Cult Information Centre (CIC) defines a cult as a group having all of the following five characteristics:
- It uses psychological coercion to recruit, indoctrinate and retain its members
- It forms an elitist totalitarian society.
- Its founder leader is self-appointed, dogmatic, messianic, not accountable and has charisma.
- It believes the end justifies the means in order to solicit funds and recruit people.
- Its wealth does not benefit its members or society.
Categories of Cults
Communal living common.
|Communal Living rare.
Members may leave or not join societys workforce.
Members usually stay in societys workforce.
Average age at the point of recruitment is in the 20s.
Average age at the point of recruitment is in the mid 30s
Registered as religious groups.
Registered as non profit making groups.
Appear to offer association with a group interested in making the world a better place via political, spiritual or other means.
Appear to offer association with a group giving courses in some kind of self improvement or self help technique or therapy.